Author Interview 010: Gregory Alexander Sharp - Master of Supernatural Thrillers

Author Interview 010: Gregory Alexander Sharp - Master of Supernatural Thrillers

Today, we're thrilled to introduce Gregory Alexander Sharp, a seasoned business executive turned author. Born in Surrey, UK, Greg's Scottish and English heritage has deeply influenced his perspective and storytelling. Known for his supernatural thrillers, Greg made his literary debut with IL LUPO, followed by its gripping sequel, KILL AND CURE. Both novels intertwine elements of mental health with the supernatural, drawing readers into a world where ancient curses and modern-day struggles coexist.


Author Interview with Gregory Alexander Sharp about Supernatural Storytelling and Real-Life Struggles

In our interview, Greg shared fascinating insights into his transition from the corporate world to writing, his inspirations behind blending mental health themes with supernatural elements, and his current projects set in the 1970s gangland of the USA. He also offered his recommendations on must-read UK literature and provided valuable advice for aspiring writers.


Featured Excerpts

  • Reflecting on his heritage, Greg said, "My work is littered with characters who are what might be described as being very English and very Scottish... I’ve been part of a story of rise and fall, and hopefully I represent at least in part, something of a rise again."
  • On his transition to writing, Greg explained, "I've been very fortunate to work for some of the world's most recognisable and admired brands... but that was something I found relatively easy to pick up as a result of being a storyteller, not the other way around."
  • Discussing the inspiration for IL LUPO, Greg pointed out, "There was an element of catharsis in that... I wanted to give a voice to those experiences, so maybe someone who reads that book will say, 'I’m not alone.'"
  • On expanding his supernatural world in KILL AND CURE, he noted, "I really wanted to dip a little deeper into that well that had been provided by Universal studios... positioning those very normal (if rather charismatic) people against this unimaginable, supernatural threat, makes the scenario all the more believable."
  • Talking about his current work, Greg teased, "The whole piece was inspired by something that’s very familiar to people of my generation... Watch this space!"


Full Questions and Answers


1. How did your Scottish and English heritage shape your perspective as a writer?

What an interesting question! Of course, I’m tempted to say I don’t believe it has, that I’m a citizen of planet Earth, and my worldview is entirely… worldly! That wouldn’t be a very honest reply though, would it? For sure, my work is littered with characters who are, what might be described as being very English and very Scottish. I hope they aren’t caricatures, as they are certainly based on individuals I’ve known over the years, and partly myself, of course. It’s probably true to say that my heritage influenced my choice of characters in those first two novels, leaning a little against a degree of cultural familiarity, whilst also spreading my wings internationally, just like a good Brit ought to!

In terms of my viewpoint, I suspect I must be in part a product of my upbringing and my vintage. Born to a middle-class family in an affluent area of England in 1970, but raised in a household where a failed business resulted in the loss of our home. I’ve been part of a story of rise and fall, and hopefully, I represent at least in part, something of a rise again.


2. You have had a successful career in business consulting and services. What motivated you to transition from the corporate world to writing novels?

I've been very fortunate to work for some of the world's most recognisable and admired brands in technology, consulting, and business services. I started out as an Admin Assistant in the payroll department of HM Treasury in the UK, essentially opening and sealing envelopes, and emptying the ashtrays (that rather dates me, doesn't it). More recently I've held director and leadership positions with international portfolios of responsibility, and I've traveled the world doing business, it's been quite a journey. 

As part of the roles I’ve had over the years, influencing people and just getting my point across has been central to that. Whether that be in a one-to-one scenario, or leading an international matrix of diverse and disparate groups of people, both on client and co-worker sides, finding the right words at the right time has been a necessary skill. But that was something I found relatively easy to pick up as a result of being a storyteller, not the other way around. I used to write in my spare time when I was a child, just for myself. You couldn’t get me to write my own name at school, I was so busy rebelling, but at home, I would write about my favourite fictional characters, essays and the like. So you might say it was always in me, the desire to write, it just took rather a long time to express itself in a first novel.


3. Your debut novel, IL LUPO, blends mental health themes with supernatural elements. What inspired you to combine these two aspects in your storytelling?

Author Interview 010: Gregory Alexander Sharp - Master of Supernatural Thrillers

Well, as a young man, I was fascinated with the black-and-white Universal Studios horror movies. Dracula with Bela Lugosi, Frankenstein with Boris Karloff, The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jnr, and all the numerous sequels and spin-offs. I’d actually been introduced to those movies by my father who recommended an Abbott and Costello movie in which they meet those three legendary monsters. I was hooked! You might very well say that I had no choice but to tell a story with a feel for those old-fashioned tales. IL LUPO is by no means a modern horror full of blood and guts (although there is a little of that), but it is loaded with myth, and folklore, and jeopardy that I believe connects with that classic sense of dread.

In terms of the mental health aspect, there was an element of catharsis in that. When, at the age of twenty-five, my older brother passed away, I suffered terribly with extended grief. Anxiety, depression, panic attacks, agoraphobia, it was utterly disabling. Most people who meet me would find it extraordinary that I was unable to go to work, get on a train, or even set foot outside my own home for months, but I really did suffer. Four years later, when my mother passed away, I experienced something of a relapse. What I learned above all else at that time, was that nobody spoke about mental health in those days. It’s a little better now, but not good enough, and I wanted to give a voice to those experiences, so maybe someone who reads that book will say, “I’m not alone.”


4. KILL AND CURE introduces vampires alongside werewolves. What was your approach to expanding the supernatural world you created in IL LUPO?

I really wanted to dip a little deeper into that well that had been provided by Universal Studios, I just had to. In fact, with Kill And Cure, I also introduce a character whom you might consider a Mad Scientist, and that again comes from the same era. It’s something of a trope that werewolves and vampires are pitted against each other, but I wanted to add an original twist to that dynamic, and I believe I have achieved that. I also couldn’t resist dropping in a few references to old horror movies too. At one point, one of the characters is described as being a walking meatloaf, which is an homage to An American Werewolf in London, and the scientist is named after the director of The Wolfman. Also, keep an eye out for a reference to Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Actually, there are many trinkets of that nature in both of those novels... keep your eyes peeled for them.

A theme that runs through both IL LUPO and KILL AND CURE is that they are staged in very real backdrops, and with very relatable characters who experience everyday problems. I believe that positioning those very normal (if rather charismatic) people against this unimaginable, supernatural threat, makes the scenario all the more believable.


5. Your current work in progress is set in the gangland scene of the 1970s in the South East of the USA. What drew you to this particular setting and era?

Ha! All will become very clear on that one later this year (hopefully). The story is set on a peninsular which is rather reminiscent of Florida, although it is never named. The peninsular has twin cities on opposing coastlines which have strong gangland presences. There’s a love story at the heart of this novel, as well as action, rivalry, and plot twists. There are also evocative scenes set in nightclubs and on beaches, where music and dancing are front and centre. The whole piece was inspired by something that’s very familiar to people of my generation, and I’m going to hold that back until I’m in a position to start the marketing campaign on it. Watch this space!


6. How did you get involved with Werewolf The Podcast, and what has your experience been like as a voice actor?

Amazing! What a thrill I’ve had collaborating with Fenrir on his incredible show.

Around the time I launched IL LUPO, I found myself seeking werewolf content wherever I could find it, and I started listening to Werewolf The Podcast whilst walking my dog. I must say, the combination of out-and-out horror, with truly witty dialogue really grabbed me. Don’t get me wrong, the horror side of Werewolf The Podcast and goes much further than I’ve ever ventured as a writer, but the richness of the characters, the twinkle in the writer’s eye, that just got its hooks in me.

I’m not entirely sure how it happened, but I DM’d Fenrir on Twitter (X) about a particular episode, and we somehow struck up a friendship. It became clear that we had a great deal in common personally, and we found it easy to talk. One fine day, Fen invited me to collaborate on an episode, and he asked me to bring my character, Ernest Wainwright, along (Episode 105: Looting The Museum). It was fun, but a one-off. In the summer of 2023, I decided to release a series of podcasts of my own, named Pod By The Fireside, and we did a number of episodes together discussing werewolves (in folklore, literature, movies etc).

In August of that year, Fenrir kicked off a new sub-story and invited me to co-create and then portray a new character, which was a surprise and an honour. We came up with Simon, The Professor, and I’ve been playing the part ever since. I’ve also collaborated with Fenrir on pretty much every episode since that time, assisting with the creative process, writing small segments, and even an entire episode (Episode 145: Oh, What A Knight). I must say, it’s been the most fun I could have imagined, and now we even have my wife, Dee, playing the part of The Devil!

 

7. As a British author, what are some of the best books of UK literature that you believe everyone must read?

As both a Britain, and a fan of classic horror, it may not surprise you to hear me recommend ‘Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus’ (to give it its full name) by Mary Shelly. Frankenstein is consistently regarded as one of the top ten works of fiction ever written, in any genre, and it has the ability to draw the reader into such a degree that the real world absolutely fades into the shadows. It is quite a tome, and the language is of its time, so one of the many audio versions might help. I particularly enjoyed the version narrated by Dan Stevens who played Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey, he was spellbinding reading this work.

I should mention that the trigger for me finally writing IL LUPO, was the Audible series of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, so I recommend all seven of those (Prisoner of Azkaban was my personal favourite… the one with the werewolf in it!). The Audible version I listened to was the UK market version with Stephen Fry reading, do check that out if you get the chance, he was perfect!

Finally, if British wit is your thing, there’s always P.G. Woodhouse, particularly the adventures of Bertie Wooster!

There, that lot should keep you going for a while.


8. Your short story, THE BRIDGE, touches on serious themes like bullying and mental health. What message do you hope readers take away from this story?

Less than four thousand words, written in a single sitting, and probably the hardest-hitting story I’ve ever written. Gosh, there’s so much danger for children growing up today. It was hard enough in the 1980s, but we didn’t have social media or smartphones to make us vulnerable and mess with our minds like they do today.

In this scenario, a family lose their home (sound familiar..?), and one of their children who has always led something of a charmed life, suffers a reversal in fortunes. This story tells us how quickly people, especially young people, can become isolated. It’s sad but true to say that isolated children often become victims of those around them, and if the parents are too focused on navigating what they see as the big, adult issues, their children can get lost. This bite-sized chunk serves as a parable for those who might forget what, and whom life is really all about.


9. What advice would you give to someone who is looking to transition from a corporate career to becoming a full-time writer?

In a word, discipline.

You must force yourself to create a space in which you can express yourself in words. I you don’t put in the effort to separate some time just for you and your writing, it will never happen.

Focus on progress, not perfection. Get that first draft written, it won’t be perfect, no matter how long you take to write it, so just write the damned thing. You will improve it every time you go back to it later.

Write for yourself, not for what you think will sell. The chances of writing an international best-seller are remarkably low, so don’t make that your primary objective. Represent the story that your heart is pleading with you to let it tell. You will only produce your best work if your heart is truly in it.

Finally, please write it, and write it yourself, don’t ask a robot to do it for you. When we replace human creativity with technology, the world becomes less magical. Every time an A.I.-generated book is produced, somewhere, an angel weeps.


Conclusion

We extend our heartfelt thanks to Greg for sharing his journey and insights with us. His blend of personal experiences and supernatural storytelling makes his work truly compelling. We can't wait for you to dive into the full interview and discover more about his fascinating world. Share your thoughts and comments below; we’d love to hear your reactions!


About Gregory Alexander Sharp

Author Interview 010: Gregory Alexander Sharp - Master of Supernatural Thrillers

Gregory Alexander Sharp, born in Surrey, UK, is a business executive turned author. His debut novel, IL LUPO, and its sequel, KILL AND CURE, explore themes of mental health and supernatural elements, drawing on his love for classic horror and personal experiences. Greg also hosts his podcast, Pod By The Fireside, and is a voice actor on Werewolf The Podcast. Follow him on X @SempaiGreg and check out his works on linktr.ee/sempai_greg.


Next Post Previous Post
2 Comments
  • Gregory Alexander Sharp
    Gregory Alexander Sharp June 3, 2024 at 6:43 PM

    Thank you so much for the opportunity to connect with your wonderful readership. I hope to come back in the future when I can lift the lid on that mysterious Work In Progress!

    • Cavanşir Gadimov
      Cavanşir Gadimov June 3, 2024 at 11:30 PM

      Thank you also for joining Author Interviews and it was a pleasure to have you here.

Add Comment
comment url