Author Interview 009: Alan Bayles - A Journey Through Parallel Worlds

Author Interview 009: Alan Bayles - A Journey Through Parallel Worlds

Meet Alan Bayles, a writer hailing from Hartlepool, England, now based in Northern Ireland. With a deep love for fantasy, science fiction, action, and thrillers, Alan has turned his passion into a captivating writing career. Best known for his "Mirror Wars" series, including "Double Jeopardy" and "Oracle's Vision," Alan brings readers into worlds of alternate realities and thrilling adventures.


Author Interview: Alan Bayles on Crafting Sci-Fi Thrillers and Fantasy Worlds

In our recent interview, Alan Bayles shared his journey from a young boy inspired by a school assignment to a seasoned author exploring the multiverse. He discussed the impact of his favorite TV shows and authors on his work and provided insights into his writing process. Alan also offered recommendations for must-read books in the fantasy and science fiction genres and teased future projects in his "Mirror Wars" series.


Featured Excerpts

  • "Growing up in Langley Park, I always had a vivid imagination. My childhood adventures around the village inspired many settings in my books," Alan explained, highlighting the deep connection between his upbringing and his creative work.
  • "James Herbert’s 'The Rats' was a huge influence on me. It scared me, but it also taught me the power of vivid storytelling," Alan said, pointing to the impact of his favorite authors on his writing style.
  • "When I first sat down to write Double Jeopardy, I wanted to incorporate my love and fascination with the multiverse," Alan explained. His passion for parallel worlds is evident throughout his works.


Full Questions and Answers


1. What inspired you to start writing, and how did your upbringing in Langley Park, Durham influence your work?

I was 13 years old, and I was at school when I first became inspired to start writing. I was in my English class and our teacher assigned us homework to write the prologue of a story. When I got home, I sat down and wrote a thousand words, which so happened to be a science fiction story. Although it wasn’t very good, it lit a spark in me. I felt an urge to write a book. By that age, I was already a voracious reader and had a fair inkling of how a story should go. 

Unfortunately, when I approached my English teacher for advice on how to become a writer, he laughed at me and told me only highly educated people become writers, something he said I would never be and to take my head out of the clouds. Since then, even though I felt I wanted to write, those words stuck with me, making me believe I wasn’t good enough.  However, that changed just as I was about to turn 50 and I had a life-altering moment that caused me to look at my life. It was one of those moments you have in your life where it makes you realize if you didn’t do it now you may end up always regretting it. 

My upbringing has a lot to do with my writing. My mum was a big reader. I can always remember her sitting with a book in her hand, or sitting up in the early hours in bed reading a book.  When my brother and I were six years of age she registered us with the local library and were given our first library card. The first library book I read was Dr Who And Death To The Daleks, after that kept going back and getting more books to read. 

Langley Park itself was a major influence in me setting it as a location for my first book, Double Jeopardy. Growing up a group of us would run around the village exploring the old buildings, one in particular was a creepy Isolation Hospital. We dare each other to get as close as possible. There was something about the building that still sends a shiver down my spine whenever I think about it. Even though it was torn years later, it still left its mark on me and inspired me to use it as a setting in my book.


2. Your Love for fantasy and science fiction is evident in your books. What are some of the fantasy and science fiction books that you think are essential reads for fans of the genre?

The fantasy book I read was the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster. Anyone looking for a humorous tale set in a world of myths and legends then you cannot go wrong with that. Even though it is quite adult in nature with language etc, I think modern readers would enjoy it.  Another fantasy author I was introduced to was David Eddings, his Belgariad series is such a delight to read, with wizards, magic, and an epic adventure that probably would rival The Fellowship of The Ring. 

As for science fiction, Andy Weir’s The Martian and Project Hail Mary are must-reads. I also read a lot of science fiction books written by Peter David. His writing style is easy to read and quite imaginative (I also believe he is a die-hard Star Trek fan!). Another science fiction I was recently introduced to was Dennis E Taylor. His Bobiverse series is an absolute blast to read.

Author Interview 009: Alan Bayles - A Journey Through Parallel Worlds



3. You mentioned some of your favorite authors like Stephen King, James Herbert, Clive Cussler, Dean Koonts, Audrey Niffenegger & Neil Gaiman. How have these authors influenced your writing style and storytelling? 

If I’m being honest, I would have to say James Herbert was the biggest influence on my writing style and storytelling.  One of the first horror books I ever read was James Herbert’s The Rats. I wasn’t that old when I first read, probably about ten years of age. It absolutely scared the poop out of me, but I loved it! I just loved the way he drew the reader in and shocked them when they weren’t expecting it. His writing was so vivid and imaginative that, to this day I still retain the memory of one particular scene. Double Jeopardy contains a scene that is a little homage to James Herbert, which I hope he would have approved of. 


4. Your favorite TV shows include Blake’s 7, Babylon 5 & Star Trek. How have these shows influenced your world-building and character development in the Mirror Wars series? 

Star Trek was a major influence story-wise, in particular the episode set in the mirror universe, series 2 “Mirror Mirror”. It was this my fascination with parallel dimensions and doppelgängers stemmed from. 

Blake’s 7 was my favourite TV show growing up as a child (even though the series finale did leave me, and many others traumatized!). I have to say this one was the biggest influence for me in developing my characters, in particular the manipulative and deceitful Colonel Barnes, who I based on the show’s anti-hero Kerr Avon. Avon was simply despicable, even though he was loyal to those who fought with him, you wouldn’t want to turn your back on him! He was one of those characters that people just loved to hate. In my second book, Oracle’s Vision, Doctor Drusilla Severan, I based on the show’s antagonist, the scheming and evil seductress, Servalan. 

But as for world-building, I would have to say Babylon 5 was probably the biggest influence on me with its long-running storyline of government corruption and shadows around every corner. 


5. Double Jeopardy introduces readers to the intriguing concept of alternate worlds and doppelgängers. What inspired this idea, and how did you develop the plot for this intense science fiction thriller?

As mentioned earlier it was the Star Trek TOS episode “Mirror Mirror” which began my love for all things with regards to parallel worlds and doppelgängers.  I love the idea that there is another version of me somewhere in a mirror reality, who could be doing the same thing as me, or something completely different from me.  Growing up, I always dreamed of becoming an Astronaut but unfortunately, as life usually does, reality got in the way.  I like to believe in another reality another version of myself achieved his dream and is looking at his Earth from orbit. 

As a child, I always had this irrational fear of mirrors, that my reflection was a dark version of myself in a mirror universe waiting to climb out and kill me during my sleep! Although having a twin brother didn’t help too, constantly being reminded we were basically a copy of one another!  As I grew older my fears of mirrors eased but didn’t entirely go away.  I still cannot walk by a mirror and not think “Did my reflection just grin a me?”

When I first sat down to write Double Jeopardy, I wanted to either incorporate my love and fascination with the multiverse, or something based on my childhood fear of mirrors.  Over time as I began to think more and more about writing a fantasy novel, I started to think “Why not incorporate them both?” The more I thought about it, the more I realized I liked that idea and when I eventually sat down to write down my thoughts, I realized I had the makings of what could be an interesting story.

My initial idea had been to write a one-off novel involving a creature from another dimension who used mirrors to attack and kill people.  But the more I thought about that, I realized that had been done so many times before and if I wanted to write a story that grabbed people, then it needed to be something original – Something we had seen before but still had something different about it.

My mind kept drifting back to ST:TOS’s Mirror Mirror and an idea slowly began to develop of people from a parallel reality who crossed over into “our” reality to replace their doppelgangers as a precursor to a much larger invasion.

Once I had the main plot point, I then had to think about the “who” – Who were the people that were crossing over? My first thought was an evil German Empire that never lost WWII, but I quickly discarded that idea when I realized that had already been done with many TV shows and films – most recently The Man In The High Caste.

I finally settled on the Roman Empire and after doing some research (thank you Internet) on reasons why the Roman Empire fell, their ranking system, looking up theories on what the world would look like if the Roman Empire never fell, etc.

Once I settled on my enemy, it was a “simple” matter of creating a world where the Roman Empire reigned supreme i.e. their technology level, their social structure, etc. After settling on the timeframe of my story, I was able to add key points from our history that could have been the cause of “outside” interference i.e. Kennedy’s assassination, civil unrest in the 1970s & 80s, and the financial collapse of 2008, eventually culminating in COVID-19.

After I sat down and began to write I was able to develop the characters I had chosen to fit in with my story as it progressed and mould them into vivid and interesting characters.


6. Detective Inspector Dave Barnes is a central character in your books. Can you share more about how you crafted his character and the challenges he faces?

When I first began to craft Dave’s character, in my head I already pictured him as a police officer. When I first sat down to write my notes about him, I wondered what age he should be. I knew for the type of character I had in mind, he needed to be in his mid to late 50s, a man who is weighed down by the pressures of his job and carries a bit of weariness about him. But he is also a man, who is dogged in his determination to do what is right, while also fiercely loyal to those that serve under him. 


7. Can you describe your writing process? Do you have any specific routines or rituals that help you stay productive and creative?

I have a set routine when I am writing. I made our spare bedroom a little den where I could sit and write undisturbed, and it is there I go to each morning to write. I set aside a time one morning between 8.30am to 12.30am to write. When I first sat down to write I found it hard because I was constantly being distracted by noises coming from either downstairs or outside. After doing a bit of research I found some authors use noise-cancelling headphones to write while listening to music. So, I got myself a pair of headphones and found a channel on YouTube that plays meditation music for people who stay focused.

It doesn’t always work, especially when my wife is home on a day off. But I try not to complain, as she usually helpfully brings me up a cup of tea or encourages me to take a break.


8. What advice would you give to aspiring writers who are interested in writing fantasy and science fiction?

My advice for those who want to write but are afraid of doing so is just do it. You have nothing to lose from trying. Don’t be like me and put it off because of self-doubt. If you are unsure about anything, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Since I have become a writer, I have found the author community to be a magnificent group that helps each other out. We are all in this together.


9 Can you share any details about future projects or upcoming books in the Mirror Wars series?

I just realized book 2 in my Mirror Wars series, Oracle’s Vision, January this year. I’ve also just finished getting it produced into an audiobook, narrated by Gill Mills, whose incredible voice brought to my characters in Double Jeopardy. I aim to release the audiobook of Oracle’s Vision soon.  I have started work on the third book in my Mirror Wars series, The Custos Gambit. No date when I plan to release it yet, as I like to take my time when I am writing, (also I am a bit of a perfectionist!). I am not one of those people who has more than one project on the go because. I prefer to devote my time and energy to one specific project. 


Conclusion

A huge thank you to Alan Bayles for sharing his insights and experiences with us. His journey from a young dreamer to a published author is truly inspiring. We look forward to diving into the worlds he creates and eagerly anticipate his future works. Don’t forget to leave your comments and thoughts below—we’d love to hear from you!


About Alan Bayles

Author Interview 009: Alan Bayles - A Journey Through Parallel Worlds

Alan Bayles is an author from Hartlepool, England, now living in Northern Ireland. With a passion for fantasy, science fiction, action, and thrillers, Alan has published several captivating books, including the "Mirror Wars" series. When not writing, Alan enjoys spending time with his family, exploring new worlds through reading, and indulging in his love for classic TV shows.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url