Game of Thrones finale: Was the ending disappointing or expected?

Game of Thrones finale

The Game of Thrones finale is definitely one of the most highly anticipated TV series of all time. However, after just six episodes of the series finale, there have been many negative comments. So, was the ending disappointing or was it very much expected?

Game of Thrones Finale Review (May Contain Spoilers)

Let's think about it this way. Normally, in movies and TV series, main characters never die or die very early. However, Game of Thrones showed us from its first season that every single character here is mortal. Starting with Ned Stark, who was the main character of the first season, we witnessed many deaths, some of which were very shocking. Remember the scene of the Red Wedding, where we witnessed the brutal massacre of King Robb from House Stark, his wife Queen Talisa, his mother Lady Catelyn, and many others.



This was just the beginning. The TV series was just warming up to claim more victims. And it reminds us that justice is something we can never attain here. You can never get what you want. You can never watch what you expected here. So, from this perspective, the series finale is not disappointing because it constantly reminds the audience that their expectations will never be fully satisfied.


Though there were a few scenes that met my expectations, the first one was when Arya Stark avenged and killed Lord Walder Frey and his people for what they did in the Red Wedding. The second one was when I saw Arya cutting the throat of Lord Baelish. The second scene is my favorite.

So what were people expecting? A magical ending that met all their expectations? It's not logical to expect that from a TV series that always knew how to surprise its audience. The series ended just as it began, not allowing you to find peace with the story. It stayed true to its nature throughout its six-year run.

Most people expected Jon Snow to become king because he truly deserves it. I also believe that he is a real hero in this story and the rightful candidate for the throne. But in this case with the whole GOT story, it is very much normal to see John being exiled and ending up in the north of the wall. Means nowhere.


The disappointing or expected ending?


Did anyone expect that Daenerys will become a mad queen like her father Mad King? Not many but still there was a chance for this to happen. And since it happened I expected and even wanted that she has to die. No other choice. But did anyone expect this ending with John Snow? Don’t think so. Even after coming back from death, all expectation was that he must sit on that Iron throne.

For me last season and the series finale was disappointing and at the same time, the ending was very much expected.

Share your opinion with me. What do you think?

Not: Even though for some GOT ended with disappointment, for me the biggest disappointment was the ending of the TV series “Lost”. Don’t think anyone can surpass it.

Next Post Previous Post
19 Comments
  • Ian Davis
    Ian Davis May 22, 2019 at 8:33 PM

    The ending could have been better if it had been thought through more. Bran should have been offered the crown as shown but he should have refused it on the obvious grounds that he had no experience at ruling, and must defer to those more qualified for the role. He should then have nominated his sister Sansa, and she should then have been acclaimed perhaps over her objection that as representative of the North she couldn't sanction also becoming Queen of the seven kingdoms. However the twist should be that Bran consequence of his sisters promotion, should then be nominated by Sansa to replace her as King of the north, only then to have Bran refuse to swear allegiance to his sister, on the very grounds his sister gave. Sansa could then be left twisting and turning, conscious of the conflict between her new role and her old ultimately accepting that she was Queen of all except the North. And it could then be she who asks her former husband if he would be her hand. The two of t…

    • Cavanşir Gadimov
      Cavanşir Gadimov May 23, 2019 at 4:25 PM

      Maybe, everyone has their of way to see the end.

  • Jasmine M.
    Jasmine M. July 5, 2019 at 10:02 PM

    I'm still watching the second season. I know I'm soo far behind, but now I'm not even sure that I should keep watching. I heard the last season felt rushed and that it didn't end well at all.

  • Brooke Wood
    Brooke Wood July 6, 2019 at 12:04 AM

    I have to agree with you that the ending was disappointing. I’m not sure if you watch the walking dead, but I’ve recently stopped watching it as well, because it hasn’t even made it to the ending yet and it’s gotten horrible!

  • Joanna
    Joanna July 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM

    I really wished that Dani was the one to sit on the Iron Throne, she fought so hard to get there. The ending was quite disappointing, but I supposed it kind of reverted to the first scenes of season 1... everything going back to the way it was.

  • Robert
    Robert July 6, 2019 at 8:08 PM

    I guess I need to start watching now.

  • Polly
    Polly July 7, 2019 at 2:06 AM

    I was a little bit disappointed. The season just seemed rushed. I was rooting for Dani actually or even Aria. Actually anyone but NOT... Ugh!

  • Vane
    Vane July 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM

    I don't watch this show but I guess it's good! Most of the people I know loves it. My fav is Khal Drogo hehe

  • Lorita
    Lorita July 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM

    I didn’t watch the series. I heard it was good though

  • Chava Mazal Stark
    Chava Mazal Stark July 7, 2019 at 6:26 PM

    I never started this show. Nearly everyone I know who watched it said the ending was disappointing.

  • SincerelyMissJ
    SincerelyMissJ July 7, 2019 at 8:04 PM

    I was not shocked by the ending. It just looked really rushed and things did not add up. I wish they had more time to do it properly. The only really episode of that season was the battle of the night walkers and the night king.

  • Haroon Ejaz
    Haroon Ejaz July 8, 2019 at 12:00 AM

    As a huge Game of thrones fan I was disappointed at some level because I had more expectations from the finale, I guess everyone had.
    P.S: Please feel free to visit my blog to get all the latest stuff from around the web: https://stuffaroundtheweb.com/

  • Neil Alvin Nicerio
    Neil Alvin Nicerio July 8, 2019 at 6:12 AM

    To be honest, I was disappointed with the ending. They should have atleast extended the white walker battles to make it more thrilling.

  • Travel Beauty Lifestyle
    Travel Beauty Lifestyle July 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM

    I didn’t watch the series. I heard it was good though

  • Anonymous
    Anonymous July 8, 2019 at 2:50 PM

    I felt like the ending was too rushed. They should have taken their time, added a few more episodes and kind of lead up to Bran being made king. I loved the series up to that season. The ending just felt underwhelming, rushed, and predictable to me.

  • JM De Guzman
    JM De Guzman July 8, 2019 at 7:16 PM

    I am one of the followers who are quite disappointed with the turn out of the series, hope it could have ended well and better

  • You, Me and Benny
    You, Me and Benny July 8, 2019 at 7:22 PM

    Disappointing hands down. The whole season felt rushed!

  • Sl Tp
    Sl Tp July 9, 2019 at 7:45 PM

    I was a bit disappointed. But all in all it is the best TV series ever.

  • Sanjota Purohit
    Sanjota Purohit July 9, 2019 at 11:42 PM

    You should have asked me on the very next day of finale. I was very disappointed. Now I'm neutral.

Add Comment
comment url