Motor City (2025) – A Silent-Style Revenge Thriller That Grows on You
When Motor City started, it almost didn't have any conversations, and the ones that were there, you couldn't hear anything. Mostly music. So I thought it was just the intro part of the movie and soon it would finish. I was wrong. After 10-15 minutes, this style with no conversations started annoying me because I was thinking, "When will it end? When will conversations start?" But once I realized this is the movie's style, I started actually enjoying it. No conversations—just action, mimics, body language, movements, and the whole story told this way. It has a unique style, like watching an old silent movie, just with one difference: you don't have character voices, but only environmental sound. The rest of the story is told with mimics, movements, body language, and more. My rating for this movie is 7 out of 10—a solid action thriller with a unique style that first annoyed me, then made me enjoy it once I understood what it was doing.
Starring Alan Ritchson as John Miller, Ben Foster as the gangster, Pablo Schreiber, Lionel Boyce, and Shailene Woodley, this action thriller is written by Chad St. John and directed by Potsy Ponciroli. Set in 1970s Detroit, it follows an ex-con on a quest for revenge against the gangster who framed him and stole his girlfriend. The film has minimal dialogue, using a rock soundtrack and action scenes to carry the plot. It earned a 7/10 from me. Let's dig into the details.
The Plot: From Framed Man to Revenge Machine
In 1970s Detroit, John Miller falls for a local gangster's girl. In retaliation, the gangster enacts a frame job to send the innocent man to prison. Life ruined, Miller plots a revenge campaign against the man who took his girl away. After years in prison, he returns with only one mission: revenge. No spoilers here, but the film tells this story almost entirely through visuals—body language, facial expressions, and action. It's a bold choice, and it works better than I expected once I adjusted to it.
The Unique Silent Film Style
This is the most divisive aspect of Motor City, and honestly, it's what makes the film memorable. The minimal dialogue approach means you're watching a story unfold through movement, atmosphere, and sound design. It's like watching an old silent movie, but instead of title cards, you get environmental sounds and a killer rock soundtrack. The first 10-15 minutes annoyed me because I kept waiting for conversations to start. But once I accepted that this was the style, I started appreciating it. The film forces you to pay attention to every gesture, every glance, every subtle movement. It's a different way of experiencing a story, and for the most part, it works. The rock soundtrack drives the film forward, and the action scenes are choreographed with precision to tell the story without words.
The Action and That Elevator Fight
Aside from the style, I liked the drama, story, action, and thrill. Especially the elevator fight scene—so brutal, so bloody. That scene alone is worth the price of admission for action fans. Alan Ritchson is a physical presence throughout, and his performance relies heavily on his ability to convey emotion through his body and face. Ben Foster is suitably menacing as the gangster, and Shailene Woodley brings emotional weight to her role as the girlfriend caught in the middle. The film is only 1h 43m, and it moves at a steady pace, building toward a satisfying conclusion. The revenge story is familiar, but the unique presentation makes it feel fresh.
What Worked and What Didn't
What I really liked about this film is its commitment to its style. It would have been easy to chicken out and add more dialogue, but Motor City sticks to its guns. The action is brutal and well-choreographed, and the atmosphere of 1970s Detroit is captured beautifully. However, there were moments where the minimal dialogue felt like a limitation rather than a choice. Some scenes could have benefited from just a few more words to clarify motivations or relationships. The film also struggles a bit with pacing in the middle, and the ending felt slightly rushed. But these are minor gripes for a film that takes a big swing and mostly connects.
Ratings and Critical Reception
IMDb: 5.7/10 from 11,000 votes.
RT: 63% critics (97 reviews) / 64% audience.
Budget: $30 million. Box office: $3 million.
The film received generally positive reviews from critics, though the IMDb score suggests general audiences were more mixed. I think my 7/10 aligns more with the critical reception than the IMDb score. The box office is disappointing, which is a shame because this is a film that deserved more attention. It's a unique, stylish action thriller that takes risks, and even if not everything lands, it's worth watching for the elevator fight alone.
A Minor Critique
If I had to point out one flaw, it's that the minimal dialogue sometimes works against the film. There were moments where I wanted just a little more context to fully understand the characters' motivations. The middle section drags slightly, and the ending could have been a bit more impactful. But honestly, these are small complaints about a film that's trying something different and mostly succeeding.
A Brutal Gem for Action Fans Who Want Something Different
At 7/10, Motor City is a solid action thriller with a unique style that first annoyed me, then made me enjoy it. It's not for everyone—if you need constant dialogue, this will frustrate you. But if you're open to a different kind of storytelling, dive in. It sparked an appreciation for visual storytelling and the power of body language in film. The elevator fight scene alone is worth the watch. Alan Ritchson continues to prove he's an action star, and the film's commitment to its silent-film-inspired approach is commendable.
What did you think of Motor City? Did the no-dialogue style work for you, or did it drive you crazy? Drop your thoughts in the comments. If you enjoyed this post, please share to support the blog. Thanks!
See also My full list of 2026 movie reviews →



